If you’re thinking about starting the activity of Stand-Up Paddleboarding (SUPing) which is a fun and relaxing sport accessible to all ages and skill levels. Here’s our 7 top tips on how to get started:
- Choose the Right Equipment: Make sure to use a paddleboard suitable for your size and skill level and the conditions as well as the appropriate leash for the water speed.
- Begin with Calm Water: Don’t start out in strong currents, wavy or windy conditions. When starting out on a SUP opt for a calm and flat water location such as a lake or harbour, which will help you gain balance confidence faster.
- Start by Kneeling: the most common way to start paddleboarding is by kneeling on the board. Hold the paddle in front of you with your hands shoulder-width apart on the shaft, ensuring a stable and balanced starting position, adjusting the paddle length for a kneeling position.
- Transition to Standing: Gradually transition from a kneeling position to standing on the board. Keep your knees slightly bent and engage your core for balance. Maintain a parallel stance with your feet shoulder-width apart, distributing your weight evenly over the board's centre. As a rule of thumb the further forward you are on the grip pad, the straighter you will travel and standing further towards the rear will give you greater turning.
- Start Paddling: Hold the paddle with both hands, one on the handle at the top and the other on the shaft. Dip the paddle blade into the water, pulling it towards you to propel yourself forward. Ensure your arms remain straight, and drive through your legs and hips to generate additional paddle power.
- Practice Makes Perfect: The more often you paddleboard the more confident you will become in finding your sea legs. If you frequently take part in activities that require balance you will progress faster.
- Prioritise Safety: Always wear a life jacket, choose the right leash for the conditions, make sure someone knows where you are, take a phone in a waterproof case, remain vigilant of your surroundings, and most importantly, enjoy the experience! SUPing is not just a recreational activity; it's an opportunity to connect with nature and revel in the joy of gliding across the water.
Checkout our range of Paddleboards, suitable for any experience level, from beginner to advanced.